Baptism for Older Children
For children over 8 years of age; either unbaptized, or baptized in another faith tradition and converting to Catholicism…
“The Christian initiation of children requires both a conversion that is personal and somewhat developed, in proportion to their age, and the assistance of the education they need. The process of initiation thus must be adapted both to their spiritual progress, that is, to the children’s growth in faith, and to the catechetical instruction they receive. Accordingly, their initiation is to be extended over several years, if need be, before they receive the sacraments.” (RCIA, #253)
The Rite of Christian Initiation of Children is typically a two year process:
- Introductory meeting (by arrangement) with Dorothy Hulburt, DCM. At this time we will consider the particular needs of your family and give you an overview of what to expect in the process.
- Participation in parish religious education according to their regular grade level is required to serve as an introduction to Christ, including scripture, prayer and church teaching. This year provides children with a foundational understanding of what it means to be Catholic.
- Participation in the life of the Church, particularly Sunday Mass.
- Continued participation in parish religious education according to their regular grade level. This supports the ongoing faith development of your child. As Catholics, we understand that conversion is a life-long process; growing deeper into who we are in Christ, together with the whole church.
- Continued participation in the life of the Church, particularly Sunday Mass.
- Children, together with their parents participate in four Family Catechetical Sessions for Christian Initiation (by arrangement) with Dorothy Hulburt, DCM.
- The children are then received into the Church, celebrating the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation & First Eucharist) at the Easter Vigil.
CELEBRATION OF THE SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION:
- Rehearsal on Holy Saturday (the day before Easter Sunday) at 10:00am in the Church with a parent/sponsor
- Celebration of the Sacraments – 8:00pm Easter Vigil Mass that same night
Contact Dotti Hulburt, DCM for more details at (619) 435-3167 x302 or email email@example.com